I. Our Motivation – vs. 1 I charge thee…
Intro: Paul’s charge to Timothy was significant.
Definition: Charge – to testify; earnestly, religiously to charge; to attest, testify to, solemnly affirm; to give solemn testimony to one; to confirm a thing by testimony, to testify, cause it to be believed
1. This was a Passing of Paul’s Baton – earnestly contending for the faith
2. This was a Picture of Paul’s Burden – Romans 10:1 (the lost)
3. This was a Part of Paul’s Battle – 2 Tim. 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
A. The Motivation of the Audience – before God and the Lord Jesus Christ
- 2 Tim. 2:4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.
NOTE: verse 5 – make full proof of thy ministry
There is an audience – you and I do have something to prove to them
B. The Motivation of the Accountability – who shall judge
- Heb. 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.
- Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
C. The Motivation of the Appearing – looking for that blessed hope
- John 9:4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.