Why Don’t You Just Try It?
Psalm 34:8 O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.
Intro: The word “taste” here is a word that is familiar to us. We have 5 senses; sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste. The sense of taste is one that we utilize daily, and enjoy it. The concept of taste is found throughout the Bible.
In this verse, we could outline it in this fashion:
A. The Exhortation – O taste…
B. The Experiment – …and see
C. The Experience – …that the Lord is good
This morning, I want to exhort you to try it for yourself and experience what many others have discovered – the Lord is good!!
Why don’t you just try …
I. Getting Saved from your Sins – vs. 4, 6
- Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
- John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
If you’re here this morning, and you wonder why people get so excited about their salvation, why they testify, why they rejoice, why they talk about it, why they sing about it, why they can’t get over it, you should try it for yourself!
When I say “try it”, I’m not talking about a frivolous “see if I like it”, but a commitment to giving God a chance to do what He so desperately wants to do for you – to save your soul.
Stop trying to deny your sin, trying to hide your sin, trying to ignore your sin, trying to excuse your sin, trying to accept your sin – why don’t you try getting saved FROM your sin???
- Isa. 1:18, 19 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:
The word REASON in verse 18 means “to plead; to argue”. God is begging you to give Him a chance; an opportunity!
Would you be willing this morning to give God’s saving power a chance to work in your life??
II. Getting Spirit-filled in your Supplication – vs. 4
At least twice in the Bible, God’s people are commanded to pray IN THE SPIRIT.
- Ephesians 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
- Jude 1:20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
I’m convinced that the majority of God’s people have a hard time praying because they have never experienced the joy of praying in the Holy Spirit.
God will hear a prayer that is prayed in the Holy Ghost!
Why don’t you try it? Why don’t you commit to discovering the blessings of a prayer life that reaps the rewards of praying in the Spirit. Not carnal, fleshly petitions, but godly, biblical, Spirit-filled requests. It works! Try it! Taste and see!
III. Getting Sensible in your Stewardship – vs. 9, 10
- Proverbs 3:9, 10 Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase: So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.
Why don’t you just try putting God first in your spending?
Your Tithe, your Offerings, your Missions money being invested in the work of God is SENSIBLE!!
- Luke 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
IV. Getting Serious in your Sanctification – vs. 11-15
- 1 Thessalonians 4:4 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;
So many of God’s people today are fighting God in this area of separation from the world and sanctification unto God.
The world is pulling one way and the Holy Spirit is pulling another way, and God’s people are yielding to the world.
- Romans 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
- Romans 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
- Romans 6:19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
Yet we want to walk around pretending to be holy, and righteous and sanctified – and many are NOT!
Why don’t you try living a holy, godly, separated life?
- Jeremiah 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.
Why don’t you try forsaking the things of the world, the lifestyle, the language, the clothing, the habits of the world?
Why don’t you give God a chance and just TASTE AND SEE the blessing of living a life wholly sanctified unto Him?
V. Getting Sincere in your Soulwinning – vs. 18, 21
People are dying all around us. We must get sincere in our burden for the lost if we are ever going to see people get saved.
People are dying – are we sincere in our efforts to reach them with the Gospel??
- Jude 22, 23 And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
Why don’t you try being a soulwinner? Taste and see!!!